Friday, November 16, 2007

Swamp Healing



I have been receiving daily radiation treatments to my left breast for the past 5 weeks. I have worked on this painting of the
swamp the entire time. It has seen me through many uncomfortable, sad, exhausted moments. I feel this
painting holds the balance of my healing in its quiet stillness. As I walked the streets and parks of Montreal
I saw many yellow maple leaves on the ground covered in large black blotches, the trees are sick. After having
spent every week day for a month in the oncology dept of the Montreal General Hospital and seeing the pervasiveness
of cancer, it's hard not to compare the sickness of the maple leaves with the sickness
of our own bodies. Our great mother is in distress and I can feel it in my own body, a microcosm of the macrocosm?
Perhaps we are more connected to her than we like to believe.

1 comment:

Terry said...

I am very familiar with 'swamps', having grown up in Saskatchewan. This the name given to those low lying areas of land that never seemed to dry out but were a constant source of wetness, decay, and strange odours. Here in B.C., they are called wetlands. I like this better because whether we call it swamp or wetlands, these places are rich in a diversity of life unlike many other ecosystems. A wetland is a place of renewal, life, diverstiy, rebirth, and even healing as each season of the year refreshes and changes the water table and the varieties of species of flora and fauna. May you too, find a refreshing and healing during your time in Montreal. My prayers are with you. Terry

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...