Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Spirals

In many of my paintings I collage in a handmade Japanese paper called "Washi" One of these papers is made with the repeated motif of a spiral. I am often asked about these spirals that appear throughout my paintings. The spiral holds a dynamic, swirling energy for me that expresses the ever-moving, ever-flowing nature of our lives entwined with that of the natural world and all sentient beings.

The spiral is the universal symbol of the life force, both cosmic and microcosmic. Spiral forms are seen in nature from the great galaxies of outer space, to the whirlwind and whirlpools, to coiled serpents or conical seashells, to the tips of the fingers—our finger prints. Modern science has discovered the double helix structure of our DNA, the very basis of every cell of our body. 

The spiral is also an archetype for the spiritual journey, representing spiritual growth.

Unexpected Joy / 30" x 24" / acrylic / 2010

1 comment:

Sumit Tuli said...

Hey I just loved your blog, it has given me beautiful insights on so many things. Keep writing such good stuff.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...