Monday, January 24, 2011

River Reverence

Today I returned to my Montreal studio after spending a week wandering along La Rivière du Diable in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec. I have painted this lively river for over twenty years and feel a strong kinship. Having moved away from her presence to live in the city I didn't realize how much I carry this river's presence and soul deep inside me. When I returned to spend a week exploring her wintery shores I felt a reverence for the river that verged on mystical. I could feel her silvery song filling up the neglected places within my own soul that cried out to her. I felt fed and nourished just being close to the river's presence. A new vitality seemed to seep into my bones as I listened to her frozen stillness reverberate through the forest and snow which surrounds her. When I entered the studio today, I started to play with some sketches but I had forgotten the many reference photos of the river at home and had decided to start a painting of something else entirely. Only once the brush touched the board, everything changed. I was not painting, the river was. I just let the memories of her sounds, textures, colors and forms flow through me and this delightful painting appeared all by itself. The river painted a self portrait while I stood by and watched in fascination. I am not so sure who is painting whom anymore.

 

 

River Reverence 16" x 20" acrylic and collage on panel board

 

Posted via email from hollyfriesen's posterous

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous paintings Holly. I love how you described your relationship with this river.

Demetrios Papakostas said...

Great story Holly, you're right sometimes we wonder who's painting whom. It could be true sign of letting go and letting the art take over....

Judith van Praag said...

Lovely work, Holly, mysterious the way the water seeks its own route, way to communicate.

Pamela Robinson said...

Beautiful paintings!

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...