Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day #2 on the Road


 A leisurely drive from Val d'Or to Timmins today. Crossed the Atlantic Watershed just outside of Rouyn Noranda. I didn't realize how much mining goes on up here. I saw some incredibly large trucks and machinery as well as more than a few huge open mines, copper and gold mostly. The towns are few and far between but seem to be booming and bustling.



Mid afternoon I arrived in Timmins where I was greeted most graciously by Larry Malo and his wife, Nancy Woods. They are both physicians here in Timmins and had purchased several of my paintings while visiting Tremblant. I called them up out of the blue and they offered to host a "pop up gallery" in their historic B&B The McIntyre Lodge 

 Nancy & Larry
 
The McIntyre Lodge

 A gorgeously preserved building surrounded by 14 acres of forest and gardens. We placed the paintings throughout the house and set up a wine and cheese evening for their friends.
It was a very fun evening, I met some wonderful people from Timmins and sold a few large pieces so now my load has lightened as I continue Westward.

 








 These incredibly gracious hosts have given me the world's coziest cabin to sleep in for tonight and so I am writing this beside a roaring fire as I get ready to crawl under the covers.
Tomorrow morning will come quickly and tomorrow I have my longest drive of the whole trip, 10.5 hours to Thunder Bay.


 






4 comments:

Michele Hush said...

What a wonderful adventure you're on, Holly, and it sounds like you're off to a great start. What happens if you run out of paintings before you reach your destination? Sounds like it could happen!

Holly Friesen said...

It IS a wonderful adventure, Michele. I just love being on the road, seeing new places and meeting new people. I hope I do run out of paintings as the alternative means shipping them home since I will be flying back from Vancouver!

Maureen said...

Your work looks so beautiful wherever it's placed.

Hope the trip continues to go so splendidly.

Holly Friesen said...

Thank-you Maureen. I appreciate you following along.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...