Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Roots

Ah the power of Spring, her incredible ability to return to life all that has been asleep, her sweet juices start flowing and growth and expansion return.  All which was still starts to move and breathe again.  I have cracked out the oils and their delicious buttery consistency is a welcome change from the acrylics.  I needed a change, I was feeling oh so stuck again, this is a constant pattern of evolution.  A period of tremendous discovery, passion and growth followed by a gradual slowing of energy and then that dreaded pause or inertia before the next discovery awakens the soul to further expansion again. 
I like the way the colours are speaking in this piece and I love the exposure of the roots.  Trees are so miraculous in their dual connection to heaven and earth, a duality and tension of opposites that I find difficult to balance.  I am in need of the trees solid roots at the moment so am grounding myself in their protective arms and the warming spring earth so filled with hope and promise after a long, lonely winter with only myself to contend with myself.  I am learning self-love and it is not so easy as one might think.  If I am able to be fully present for myself only then can I be fully present for another.  I think my painting is helping me to learn this.
"Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting."
-Shakespeare

2 comments:

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

A very nice triptych and interesting observations about the struggles of life.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I like to feel rooted as well. Great painting. Love the orange.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...