Friday, April 6, 2007

Painting from the Inside/Out


I have been a representational painter for over 20 years, mostly watercolours. I have learned so much by observing and painting nature. However, it is no longer enough for me to paint from the outside-in. I now have a great need and desire to paint from the inside-out. This is a painting I have been working on for the last 8 months. It is unlike any of my other paintings and has transformed itself numerous times. I listen to music and allow whatever wants to come out of me to appear on the canvas. Sometimes it is just colours and shapes but two days ago this figure made an appearance. I enjoy having this ever evolving work beside me in my studio. I paint it just for me and will continue to paint over it time and time again. I like to know that there are hidden stories underneath the current image. It is very liberating not to focus on the results but rather on the process, internal and external.

No comments:

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...