Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rocks, Rivers & Forest Pools


I am back with my beloved rocks again. I take these wild detours away from them and then all of sudden, there they are again! I am so in love with painting rocks! My paint brushes are smoldering from all their use today! Had the music cranked and literally danced my whole body into these paintings. They are side by side and both relatively large canvases so they are a joy to bounce back and forth from. Painting rocks is like building something with my hands. I once built rock walls for my gardens and it is a similar feeling, a feeling of constructing something, almost like sculpture. I collaged Washi paper (handmade japanese paper) here and there to add to the overall texture. I love to watch how the painting takes on a life of it's own and starts telling me what to do! At first I am unsure, full of doubt and just splash some paint on loosely to block in the composition but then all of a sudden the piece starts to speak and I start to dance! I just LOVE to paint when this happens!

5 comments:

Kari Lønning said...

I like your rocks and how the spirals from the washi show up here and there. Getting to see other artists' work is a great perk to Twitter. Thanks for posting this one.

M said...

I grew up crawling over every imaginable kind of rock! They are so ingrained in who I am but I rarely paint them! I totally understand your attraction to them. The inclusion of washi for the movement of water is delicate and supportive of the composition. It is often difficult to include paper in an painting and get it to work with the composition. That is always my challenge. I am just as draw to paper as I am to rocks.

Daniel Edlen said...

I like the presence of the medium. Feeling both the rocks and your creation is cool. Nice composition too. And, hey thanks for the RT about the Rothko Chapel!

Peace.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Donna B. said...

Beautiful! I can hear the water splashing over the rocks...

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...