Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wild, Psychedelic, Studio Trip!


Today was like a psychedelic trip into color! My brushes started to move in a new way, partly influenced by @katost and her use of dancing lines, and partly by an impressive exhibition I recently saw by landscape painter, David Alexander . The colors and brushes just started to sing on their own, it felt like learning a new form of calligraphy but one that I already knew how to read and write intuitively. As long as I didn't stop to analyze or think but just kept moving and dancing, this flow of "writing colors" kept flowing! It was all I could do to contain myself and relax into this new freedom of mark making that I was experiencing. It was like trying to remember a dream, the more one relaxes and doesn't "think" about it, the more the dream is revealed. It felt so simple and familiar yet it is something I could never have done consciously or even have attempted before today. The painting process never ceases to amaze me!

2 comments:

jbkrost said...

yes,yes,yes
jb

M said...

A very lively painting. I love the energy you have captured. Dancing lines is an interesting way of describing this energy.

I've followed the work of David Alexander for years - I love how he interprets the landscape. I've seen some of the work he created based on his visits to Newfoundland. It is even more exciting when you actually live in the landscape he paints.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...