Monday, April 26, 2010

Deep, Ancient Strength of Rocks and Roots

Today's progress: Weaving the earth and the roots, feels like braiding hair somehow. My heartbeat is the earth's heartbeat. I can feel the earth is my body and I am hers. I am so humbled and awed by the deep, ancient strength of these roots and rocks.
Have been thinking about the post by @Thomasart on The Nature of Order: http://amplerain.posterous.com/christopher-alexander-the-nature-of-order The secret lies in knowing, as nature does, what must happen in what order: what sequence of events allows a living form to unfold successfully. How slowly and beautifully nature unfolds herself as she integrates previous life forms into her constant, deliberate transformation while forever strengthening the whole.
 

2 comments:

Jesse Mendes said...

Holly, I adore your work, and the fact that you connect women and the earth: our bodies, our strength, our intricate and complex beauty. You are a gifted artist, and I feel honored to make your acquaintance.

This is a passage from a Susan Griffin book that, if you are not already familiar with it, I know you will love. It is called This Earth -- What She Is To Me:

"As I go into her, she pierces my heart. As I penetrate further, she unveils me. When I have reached her centre, I am weeping openly. I have known her all my life, yet she reveals stories to me, and these stories are revelations and I am transformed. Each time I go to her I am born, like this. Her renewal washes over me endlessly, her wounds caress me; I become aware of all that has come between us, of the noise between us, the blindness, of something sleeping between us. Now my body reaches out to her. They speak effortlessly, and I learn that at no instant does she fail me in her presence. She is as delicate as I am: I know her sentience; I feel her pain and my own pain comes into me, and my own pain grows large and I grasp this pain with my hands, and I open my mouth to this pain, I taste, I know, and I know why she goes on, under great weight, with this great thirst, in drought, in starvation, with intelligence in every act does she survive disaster. This earth is my sister; I love her daily grace, her silent daring, and how loved I am how we admire this strength in each other, all that we have lost, all that we have suffered, all that we know: we are stunned by this beauty, and I do not forget: what she is to me, what I am to her."

As you are aware, I blog about older women in particular: the strength, inherent eroticism and wisdom they embody that a younger woman can only dream of. I hope folks can visit my blog.

Jesse (SeptemberMay on Twitter)
Blog: http://septembermay.blogspot.com/

Maureen said...

Marvelous, Holly.

What a wonderful way you've painted the woven earth. Those roots are sensuous and deep. I love how you connect them, together and with rock.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...