Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today's Underpainting from Yesterday's Sketch ~ Weaving Roots of Time

Today's underpainting from yesterday's 6" x 8" sketch. Three panels, each 24" x 48". This piece is just painting itself. I have been thinking a lot about synchronicity and how time and space seem to melt and disappear when I am painting. There is a relaxing of cerebral processing and a surge of energy that seems to come through my body. I can honestly feel these roots winding and weaving within my own muscle tissues. I am holding the brush in my hand and making the marks but it is not by "thinking" about them, it seems more intuitive, almost like I am "breathing" them into existence. Whatever it is, I LOVE doing it and feel so energized and ecstatic after an afternoon like today! It feels as though I have just gone on a journey w/ the rocks and roots and they have filled me w/ marvelous tales of "elsewhere". Part of a Neruda's poem kept rising to consciousness today, 

"When I lived amongst the roots
they pleased me more than flowers did,
and when I spoke to a stone
it rang like a bell."


 



 



2 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

fantastic images. I want to be reduced in size to move and live within the voids left as they grow.

Harry Kent said...

wow, i love these just as they are ... esp the top one ... i find them very moving ... maybe it's the contradiction contained in the images - stong, tenacious life-giving roots - weeping

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...