Monday, August 13, 2012

New York City

Exhibiting in NYC was exhilarating and stimulating, in equal measures. The Parallax Art Fair was an eclectic and interesting mix of art work and artists. A refreshing art fair originating in London that encourages the visitors to "be themselves" and relax into the works being exhibited. Dialogue between the artists and the viewers is encouraged and becomes an integral part of the whole event.





The fair was extremely well attended and I sold a couple of small pieces to a group of delightful women visiting NYC from Turkey. I was most fortunate to have my youngest daughter helping me to unpack and hang the show. We later braved the stifling heat of the city and went out to explore the High Line Park and the MOMA.



It was a joy to share the experience with Georgia. She discovered and connected with  Boccini's "Dynamism of a Soccer Player" in the MOMA.


And the Monet "Water Lilies" room that always sings its delightful song of colors and texture to me, no matter how many times I see it.



We stumbled onto the works of Alighiero Boetti: Game Plan and thoroughly enjoyed discovering his obsessive and diverse work.
Order & Disorder










Georgia treated me to lunch at the MOMA and I was served this exquisitely beautiful bowl of watermelon and tomato gazpacho, a jewel like mandala of color.




2 comments:

Micros said...

Hello Holly

I read the brief intro about the exhibit that I found as a link on Walt's page. I'm glad you found NYC at it's best. It can be really dysfunctional at times.

I haven't been to NYC, since the early 70's when I worked there as an illustrator, so your article brought back memories of going to MOMA for lunch and touring creativity thru time.

Your current work appears to be part resonance and part physical. Two qualities I find to be profound in good work.


Micros

Holly Friesen said...

Thanks for stopping by Micros. I appreciate you taking the time to read and look. Yes, NYC can be many different things at different times. This trip was a bright and shiny one for me!

Resonance and physicality are both integral parts of painting for me and I am always glad when someone picks this up!

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...