Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Gypsy Queen


While painting landscapes the other day, I suddenly wanted to paint this image, as a matter of fact she was very insistent on being painted. The first attempt (bottom image) felt exciting but I was disappointed with the results. I let her sit for a few days and then yesterday she called me again...the clothes were restricting her, she needed more fire and movement around her. She needed to become the dance rather than perform the dance. I like where the piece is going now, I painted a circular wooden moon that I have hung above the piece, perhaps I will include it, perhaps not but it seemed right to have it there while I paint this image.
About a year ago I had a powerful dream that I was celebrating an inner marriage of sorts. My paintings were hanging on cliffs all around me, there was beautiful sculpture filling a green meadow and all my artist friends were there. There was a huge fire, flowers everywhere, musicians, drummers and suddenly the drums started to play, I couldn't contain myself, the life force inside just pushed me up and I started to dance with such joy and love it was undescribable. I was naked in the dream but at the same time when I looked down I could see multi-coloured veils swirling around my feet. When I awoke, I said to myself, "THAT, is what I want!" This Gypsy Queen embodies that energy.

4 comments:

Cyndee Greene said...

Oh my God Holly...I LOVE her...& your story.
I wish I could afford her. I would buy her. And I know that I will. If not her...I know I will purchasing something of yours in the future.
I love your work. But more importantly I love the intention that goes into your work. And the story.
Thank you for sharing ALL of it!

jbkrost said...

WOW,
she is both landscape and figure
and both are burning...
beautiful
jb

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Wow Holly. Powerful work, tremendously powerful dream. I love how she has become the dance. I see the relationship to your dream image. Very Jungian. I am so glad you stopped by my blog, as I would not have wanted to miss seeing your work. The strong emotion in your dream expressed with great force in your piece is what art is all about. I’m still catching my breath!

Voice said...

Hmmm............ The Gypsy Queen describes her well.

Both drawings are indescribable.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...