Saturday, May 23, 2009

Storm Dream

A couple of weeks ago I dreamt that I was standing face to face with an enormous cyclone. I first noticed it on the distant horizon and was attracted by it's beauty & dark intensity. I was dumbfounded by it's magnitude & the speed of it's approach. The sky darkened, light was obliterated, the wind roared and I was totally mesmerized by the energy of the power and beauty coming straight at me. I opened my arms and surrendered completely as I knew there was no escape. I looked right at it and felt curiousity more than anything. I wondered what it would feel like when it hit me, would it hurt? would I die instantly? would I be ripped apart? I knew this was the end and watched it coming.

Then suddenly, the dream froze.

Everything froze, the whole scene in front of me was suspended, only I could move in the dream. I was astounded, as I thought nothing could stop such a power but there it
was, frozen, just inches away from me.

I woke up in wonder.

"There is only one thing that seems to work; and that is to turn
directly toward the approaching darkness without prejudice and
totally naively, and to try to find out what its secret aim is
and what it wants from you."

-Symbols~Jung


2 comments:

John Amenta said...

Fascinating dream Holly. I can't help but see the analogy of attempting to freeze those creative forces into a picture.

Dreams though are multi-faceted, so that would only be one symbol of the dream.

I like the emotional safety you felt afterward... and yet the sense of power of Nature in the dream. Its paradoxical to me that power you felt with your dream ego is somewhere inside you (not outside).

It is interesting how these emotions can be brought forth in dreams, especially the sense of wonder/awe/fear at something powerful and uncontrollable as a cyclone.

Jung insisted the unconscious acted autonomously ... much like the cyclone in your dream. I can't help but think the cyclone could be a very powerful symbol of that creative force ... that is autonomous within.

Within it is our death, thus a fearful aspect to the ego.

Patrice said...

You're the second person who has posted about storm/tornado dreams this week. Here in the south, we are having one storm after the next - but thankfully, though I sometimes awaken with the thunder, my dreams have remained cyclone free.

Love the quote. Being an obsessive storm painter at times, I like the idea that dark clouds may symbolize a chaotic creativity - kind of like taking many references and influences and shaking them up to completely change the outcome.

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...