Saturday, May 30, 2009

Gaia's Fire

Have been working this piece for months, it is one of those paintings that has worked me! It started out as a Laurentian mountainside of fiery red maples in the fall, the colors of the autumn roar inside me. I can barely drive at this time of year since I am nearly always in a state of awe at the breathtaking beauty of colour, and I find it difficult to keep my eyes on the road.The color started to overtake the painting and though I loved the fire, it was burning too intensely. I kept the painting close to me, simmering, as I worked on other pieces. Then suddenly one day, I flipped it upside down, ah much better. Now I started to cover the fire with quieter greys and the true painting began to emerge. This is where I fall into a state of complete obedience to my muse and just open up to the song that wants to be sung in paint. I can't even begin to describe the state I am in but it is the only place where my thoughts completely empty out and my body fills with music and colors that want to be released onto the canvas. I am painting from a place underneath all my own bullshit and it is a state of pure bliss.

4 comments:

Dina Soker said...

Dear Holly
This painting is so beautiful
Love the colors i can feel the pai8nting breathing
Best wishes
Dina Soker
www.dinasoker.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Breath-taking as always. <3 That is why I love your work so much.

I really do like how you describe your painting process. Now it makes me ponder about my own writing process. I shall have to write about it!! lol :)

Anonymous said...

phoenix feathers
send maple leaves rising
from earth and ashes,
spiraling in the wind--a breath
of wisdom ripens with time

(tanka)

Also on Twitter! After writing this tanka, it made me ponder just as much as your profound painting!

jeff said...

Cette peinture est vraiment évocatrice du feu, de la puissance des flammes... c'est vraiment magnifique... Les mots me manquent pour dire la beauté qui s'en dégage... Superbe représentation et excellente technique !
J'adore ! Bravo Holly !

Featured Post

Air Canada purchases a painting for their collection

I was honoured to have a large 48" x 48" painting purchased by Air Canada last month.  I am always grateful when a corporatio...